You are here

Kindergarten Registration Information

How do you prepare your Preschooler for School?

As a parent, how do you know what skills and knowledge are really important for school success?

Should you be teaching letters? What is more important for developing printing, playing with cars on the floor or practicing letter formation?

Kindergarten teachers & community partners are having open houses at local Abbotsford schools. Please join us!

Parents, and their children (3 - 5 years old in 2019) are invited to come to a RSL event at their neighbourhood school.

Every child will be given a bag of learning supplies and activities to make learning fun!

Parents/caregivers will be given a resource book with ideas about how to support their child in using these materials.

Please contact your neighbourhood school to register for the RSL session.

Some schools are doing a series of activities to support our early learners and more information is available at your school.

One of the most important things you can do to make sure that your child is successful at school, is to be involved!


Proof of age of the child by birth certificate is required for all new student registrations (schools will make a photo copy). To ensure the child being registered qualifies for Ministry of Education funding, the biological parents/legal guardians’ status and the biological parents/legal guardians’ residency need to be established. Schools may register the child providing the following are established:

At least one biological parent/legal guardian is a Canadian Citizen by birth or naturalized (obtained citizenship) and they can support this with the following pieces of identification:

Parent’s Canadian Citizenship Card; 
Parent’s Canadian Birth Certificate; and 
Parent’s Canadian Passport.

The biological parent/legal guardian must provide proof of residency, and provide ONE of the following:

Utility bill
Mortgage document
Property Sale Agreement
Property Tax Notice/Assessment
Rental or Lease Agreement

In addition ONE of the following three documents containing the name and address of the parent/guardian is required:

Bank statement
Credit card statement
Government document (eg. MSP bill)

Notification if the child has attended school in the Abbotsford School District in the past OR is coming from another school district OR if there is a sibling who has already been attending school in the school district.

You will also need to provide your child's CareCard, and your doctor's name and phone number, and other required documents as determined by the school.

* In order for a child to be registered in an Abbotsford school, proof of address must be shown by presenting one of the following legal documents: Mortgage Document, Rental or Lease Agreement, Property Sale Agreement, Property Tax Notice or Utility Bill. In addition, one of the following three documents containing the name and address of the parent/guardian is required: Bank Statement, Credit Card Statement or Government Document (MSP bill).